Monday, February 20, 2012

Turning Tables

After going back and forth on what course I'm gonna take,
it's finally decided!
No medicine
No pharmacy
Nada.

I'm gonna do psychology.
I'm very sure of it.
Like how a monkey is sure it likes banana.
Not a really good example, but there you go!

Made up my mind yesterday,
On the way to KL,
After sleeping for what seems like 2/3 of the journey,
I finally made up my mind!

I didn't know there were SO MANY job opportunities for a psychologist.
Like you can work ANYWHERE!
In a firm, a corporate company, SHELL...everywhere!
Cos people need constant motivation!
Or the world is just getting even crazier
Okay sick joke. I'm not wishing for that.
I'm sorry.

After reading that DoctorJob mag, which I should have months ago,
But better late than never right?
Anyway, after reading that, I also know the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist
Finally!
Haha I must sound really stupid right now.
:/
But I don't give a damn.
:p

Come to think of it, I've always chosen a career which involves social interaction with other people
First was medicine.
I was so determined to be a paediatrician because I love kids
But let's be realistic, I don't think I can survive competing with all the other doctors-wannabe out there
All the pressure and commitment involved
I think I was sucked into the glamour of it
But when I went for a "one week medicine course" before the JPA interview,
the doctors in GH said
"There's NOTHING glamorous about being a doctor"
Now, THAT'S a bummer!

Then I wanted to do pharmacy
That was before I entered Form 6 and decided that I don't really enjoy Chemistry besides Organic Chem.
Then slowly, that ambition faded into dust.

Finally, my aunt advised me to take up psychology
Which was what I chose without knowing much about, initially.
All I know was I wanted to help people,
Especially children
Like kids with autism because one of my cousins is autistic.
And then came yesterday, which to me was like a wake up call.
I knew so much more about Psychology!
And I love it!
I think it fits my personality.

Today I just needed a little reassurance .
My best friend, Raveena-Mei gave me just that.
She said,
"Yes. I see you being a psychologist because, you are very kind, honest and diplomatic. You know how to give the right advice at the right moment. You're very open and you are very humble, hence if someone argues with you, you state your opinion and leave it at that, you don't let your ego get in the way. And you're compassionate about people. How they feel? How are they doing? You take it upon yourself to make them feel spectacular"
Thank you!
I feel so much appreciation for my family and friends who were supportive of my decision.

After looking through the list of local universities that offer Psychology,
I think there's only one--UMS
And that's really far.
So, let's just stay in KL or Singapore while we're at it.
My parents are okay with me entering a private university.
If all else fails, I'll get into IMU and do my degree
Cos that's the only university that I trust.

And no, I don't think doing Form 6 was an utter waste of time
Because I hadn't decided what course I wanted to take after finishing Form 5
I mean, who am I kidding?
I didn't give a damn about A levels or foundation and what's not after completing SPM
All I wanted was a break
But after pondering long and hard about what I wanted to do,
A-levels was a definite no because it was WAYYYY expensive
I didn't get accepted for Matriculation (I don't think I'd be able to survive either)
Foundation was not in the decision because I didn't know what I wanted to do
So Form 6 seemed like a fair choice
Despite everyone (esp my bro) pressuring me about how tough it is
It IS tough.
No joke.
But I got through it and I gave it my all
Now let's hope the results won't disappoint
Results will be out early March
Now I can go kill myself

I feel like I trailed out of my main topic.
Oh yes, I wanted to reinstate that,
No, I didn't waste my time doing Form 6,
For all you narcissistic, pessimistic goons out there who would beg to differ.
I made the right choice with Form 6
Now I'm gonna do the same with Psychology.

Congratulations for still reading til' here
Thank you if you are still supporting me
:)
Leave a comment, if you must!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I feel so happy for you! That you decided! I know exactly how you feel.. I was equally as lost after Form 5.
    IMU? Hrmmmm. Don't forget considering Nottingham.. or.. err..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha tahnk you thank you! U actually finish reading. So touched :'(
    Is University of Nottingham good? Where is it exactly? I haven't really check their website. Gahh

    ReplyDelete